After three days of discovery on the floor, here’s my impressions from Global Pet Expo 2023, mostly from the Natural Pet Section!
As usual, the giant pet fair took place in late March in sunny Orlando, FL. Overall, 1065 companies attended the show. That gives you an idea of how huge this event was!
In this blog post, I’m going to focus on the brands that stood out most to me in the Natural Pet Section, along with a couple from the general floor.
The Natural Pet Section consisted of 181 exhibitor booths.
Among them were known names like Instinct, Stella & Chewy’s, Primal, Vital Essentials, Grandma Lucy’s, Green Juju’s, Icelandic+ and KONG Company.
But also lesser known ones like Adored Beast Apothecary, Montana Dog Food Co, Raw Dynamic, Boss Dog Brand and Tickled Pet.
Global Pet Expo 2023: The Natural Pet
Disclaimer: This blog post contains affiliate links. I may earn compensation when you click on the links at no additional cost to you.
- Pre-Made Raw Dog Food At Global Pet Expo 2023
- Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Brands At Global Pet Expo 2023
- Natural Health At Global Pet Expo 2023
- Natural Dog Treats At Global Pet Expo 2023
- Global Pet Expo 2023: Bottom Line
- Related Reading:
- Raw Dog Food Game Changers
Pre-Made Raw Dog Food At Global Pet Expo 2023
OK, so obviously all the big players were present. They’re known as established, pre-made raw dog food brands, and I’ve fed them all, especially towards my early raw feeding years between 2015-2017.
But it was also super interesting to see newer, less established frozen and freeze-dried raw dog food brands that are up and coming.
It’s always good to see the raw dog food industry expanding, so yay for the new(er) guys on the block!
Established Raw Dog Food Brands
Most of these brands sell their foods, treats and supplements on their own websites as well as at brick-and-mortar pet retailers.
You can find many of their freeze-dried formulas on Amazon as well.
Instinct Pet Food
Instinct Pet Food carries the following:
- Raw frozen meals (Patties and Bites, available in chicken, beef, beef/cod, lamb, rabbit, pollock)
- Freeze-dried raw meals (available in chicken, beef, beef/cod, lamb, rabbit, pollock)
- Raw toppers/boost mixers (available in beef, chicken, lamb)
- Raw boost mixers with functional ingredients (chicken, turkey)
- Raw coated kibble (available in beef, chicken, rabbit, salmon)
I love using their raw boost mixers as training treats and as a fall back plan when I’m out of thawed raw dog food!
That said, they just launched new mixers with functional ingredients:
- Calming Support. Turkey, Turkey Liver, Pumpkinseeds, Cherries, Sweet Potato, Yeast Culture, Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Cod Liver Oil, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate), Fish Oil, L-Tryptophan, Passionflower, Valerian Root, Mixed Tocopherols (for freshness), Rosemary Extract.
- Multivitamin. Beef, Beef Spleen, Beef Kidney, Pumpkinseeds, Sweet Potato, Yeast Culture, Beef Liver, Yellow Squash, Spinach, Montmorillonite Clay, Chia Seeds, Beets, Tricalcium Phosphate, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Fish Oil, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate), Mixed Tocopherols (for Freshness), Rosemary Extract.
Wally got to taste test the Calming Support mixers and approves! I believe this was the first time that he tasted a food with cherries.
Stella & Chewy’s
Stella & Chewy’s carries the following:
- Frozen raw dinner (Patties & Morsels, available in beef, beef/salmon, chicken, goose, lamb, turkey, venison, rabbit)
- Freeze-dried raw mixers (available in beef, beef/salmon, chicken, chicken/salmon, goose, lamb, turkey, venison, rabbit, pork)
- Freeze-dried toppers (available in beef, chicken, lamb, duck, salmon/cod, turkey, pork)
- Freeze-dried “solutions” (digestive, hip & joint, immune, skin & coat, heart)
- Freeze-dried raw treats (beef, chicken duck, turkey, lamb, game bird)
- Raw coated kibble (beef, chicken, whitefish, duck, lamb)
Just like Instinct’s, their freeze-dried toppers make great training treats and a good raw dog food alternative!
I’ve reviewed their freeze-dried Meal Mixers on the blog here (this was back in my early blogging days in 2015).
Primal Pet Foods
Primal Pet Food carries the following:
- Frozen raw (Nuggets, Patties and Pronto in beef, chicken, duck, lamb, pork, rabbit, turkey/sardine, venison)
- Freeze-dried raw (Nuggets and Pronto in beef, chicken, duck, lamb, pork, rabbit, turkey/sardine, venison)
- Freeze-dried toppers (beef, chicken)
- Gently cooked (sous vide, available in beef/carrot, chicken/salmon, chicken/squash, fish/kale, variety pack)
- Fresh toppers (Omega mussels, awesome squash, power greens)
- Hydrators (chicken/beef/pork/turkey bone broth, goat milk)
- Recreational bones & chews (beef/buffalo marrow, antlers)
- Freeze-dried treats (with goat milk, pumpkin, peanut butter)
I’ve fed Primal’s raw patties and their Power Greens fresh topper!
The latter are a great veggie mix to have in your freezer for those meal batch days when you don’t feel like making your own plant matter smorgasbord.
They also work great as a meal topper for picky eaters – here’s what’s in them:
Organic Kale, Pork Bone Broth (Filtered Water, Pork Bones, Organic Carrots, Organic Butternut Squash, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Celery, Organic Bok Choy, Organic Cilantro, Organic Parsley, Organic Ginger, Organic Turmeric), Organic Celery, Organic Chia Seeds, Sardine Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Parsley, Organic Cilantro, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Ginger, Organic Turmeric, Organic Mushrooms (Dried Shiitake, Dried Maitake), Dried Lactobacillus lactis fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product
Vital Essentials unfolded a new look at Global Pet Expo 2023!
They carry the following:
- Frozen entrees (available in beef, chicken, duck, rabbit, turkey)
- Freeze-dried entrees (available in beef, chicken, duck, rabbit, turkey)
- Freeze-dried raw bar (single-ingredient chews: bully sticks, duck heads, duck necks, moo sticks, pig ears, pig snouts, salmon skins, turkey necks, chicken necks, duck hearts)
- Freeze-dried treats (available in beef bites, beef liver, bully sticks, chicken breast, chicken hearts, duck bites, minnows, rabbit bites, salmon bites, turkey giblets)
- Freeze-dried toppers (beef, chicken, turkey)
- Freeze-dried raw protein mix-ins (mini nibs, available in beef, chicken, duck, rabbit, salmon, turkey)
Their raw bar, freeze-dried single-ingredient dog chews were favorites with my pups Missy & Buzz – and their minnows are right up there, too!
We always picked some up at one of our favorite independently owned pet retail store in Fayetteville, NC.
Steve’s Real Food
Steve’s Real Food carries the following:
- Frozen raw dog food (available in chicken, beef, turkey, pork, white fish, turducken mix of turkey/duck/chicken, Lamu mix of lamb/emu)
- Prey model raw dog food (no produce, available in beef, chicken, turkey)
- Freeze-dried raw dog food (available in chicken, beef, turkey, pork, white fish, turducken mix of turkey/duck/chicken, Lamu mix of lamb/emu)
- Freeze-dried, fermented treats (new as of 2023, available in chicken, lamb)
- Eggs over easy toppers
Answers Pet Food
Answers Pet Food carries the following (fermented cuts of) raw dog food:
- Complete & balanced raw diets (available in chicken, beef, duck, pork, turkey)
- Limited ingredient diets (available in chicken, beef, duck, pork, turkey)
- Raw milks (goat milk, cow milk kefir)
- Bone broths (fish stock, beet juice)
- Raw feet (chicken & pork)
- Organic raw duck eggs
- Raw cheese (treats)
Up & Coming Raw Dog Food Brands
These raw dog food brands mostly sell on their own websites as well as at select pet food retailers.
Boss Nation Brands
I literally stumbled upon Boss Nation Brands (Boss Dog & Boss Cat) as I was looking for someone else…lucky me!
This brand particularly spoke to me because they don’t “just” carry raw dog food, they also make outdoor dog gear.
How cool is that?!
In case you didn’t know – my mantra is “Helping dogs thrive with raw dog food and exercise!” I don’t know of ANY other brand that carries both raw dog food and dog gear.
Now, here’s what Boss Dog carries raw dog food wise:
- Complete raw dog food meals (frozen “Boss patties” infused with probiotics, available in chicken, beef, fish)
- Complete freeze-dried raw dog food (also infused with probiotics, available in chicken, beef, lamb, fish)
- Freeze-dried dog treats with green tripe (available in beef, lamb and pork)
- Freeze-dried meatball treats with probiotics
- Greek style frozen yogurt pet treats
- Raw goat milk
They also have “Boss Propaws” paw shaped dog treat trays – you can use them with goat’s milk, frozen yogurt or bone broth, for example.
And here’s what Boss Dog carries as far as (tactical) outdoor dog gear:
- Dog leashes (available in 4′ and 6′ lengths and 8 different colors)
- Dog collars (available in 4 sizes up to 28″ and 8 different colors)
- Tracking leash (long leash, doesn’t specify how long but looks like at least 20′)
- Dog harness (available in 4 sizes and 6 colors)
- Molle bag for harnesses (available in small & medium and 8 different colors)
- Patches for their harnesses
- Velcro patches for their collars
Wally’s currently testing their tactical dog collar in size Medium (15-18″) and their 6′ tactical dog leash, both in blue camo.
I love the 2 trigger safety clip on both as well as the traffic handles on both! Super convenient for dogs with a strong prey drive like Wally.
We’ll really put both to the outdoor test on our upcoming overloading trip through the Western Alps at the end of the month.
Stay tuned for lots of footage including how I’ll raw feed the pup!
Raw Dynamic Pets
One of the products that pulled me into their booth was the rabbit I spotted from the aisle…as you may know, my pup Wally has a few food sensitivities that include chicken.
But he does great on rabbit and other cooling proteins like duck and pork, so obviously, I had to check this brand out.
Raw Dynamic carries the following:
- Frozen raw dog food (available in chicken, duck, beef, rabbit, turkey and lamb)
- Freeze-dried raw dog food (available in chicken, duck, beef, rabbit, turkey and lamb)
- Air-dried & freeze-dried dog treats (available in beef, lamb, chicken, rabbit, pork, turkey and smelts)
By the way, when I chatted with one of the founders, he shared that his black German Shepherd Jeda was part of the inspiration that led to launching the brand.
Jeda is now 14 years old and still a happy, active pup!
Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Brands At Global Pet Expo 2023
The brands mentioned in this section only sell freeze-dried raw dog food but no frozen raw dog food. That’s why I didn’t include any brands here that make both. Just FYI.
Montana Dog Food Co
Montana Dog Food Co was a new discovery for me as well. They’re founded by CEO Kara and are headquartered in Montana (you guessed it!).
They carry the following:
Grain-free, freeze-dried raw dog food in:
- Surf & turf (beef & fish)
Freeze-dried, single-ingredient dog treats:
Soft chew supplements:
Wally got to sample their beef heart and bison liver as he can’t have anything chicken.
Grandma Lucy’s I’ve known for many years! They make freeze-dried raw (yep, including rabbit!) and most of their recipes can be purchased on Amazon.
- Complete dog food (available in different recipes as chicken, beef, pork, lamb, venison, rabbit, turkey, fish, salmon, lamb)
- Base mixes for raw dog food & cooked dog food (available with potatoes & without, with grains & without, with chickpeas & without, with pinto beans & without)
- Meal replacements (chicken, salmon, pork)
- Supplements (pumpkin pouches)
- Toppers (beef, turkey)
- Dog treats (oven baked & single/ingredient)
Green Juju used to “just” be known for their fresh food toppers, but at this Global Pet Expo 2023, they presented their new freeze-dried raw diet!
Some of their products can be purchased on their website, all are available in select pet retailers and some are available on Amazon.
Keeping that in mind, here’s a list of all the foods they currently offer:
- Frozen & freeze-dried blends (Just Greens, Bailey’s Blend, Golden Blend, Freeze-Dried Just Greens Blend with Nettles)
- Freeze-dried raw diet (bison, pork, rabbit with duck liver, beef)
- Bone broth (duck, bison)
- Raw goat’s milk
- Freeze-dried whole food bites (treats/toppers in beef, bison, salmon, pork, duck)
- Freeze-dried single-ingredient dog treats (bison liver, rabbit, salmon)
- Fermented vegetables blends (beets & golden paste)
Natural Health At Global Pet Expo 2023
Adored Beast Apothecary
Adored Beast Apothecary was founded by homeopath Julie Anne Lee, DCH RCSHom. I had heard of the brand before, but hadn’t used any of their products yet.
They’re a Canadian brand that sells mostly on their own website (ships to the US), and it’s also available at select pet retailers.
As of now, their products aren’t sold on Amazon.
That said, they carry these products in the following health categories:
- Allergies (respiratory, anti-inflammatory, digestive health, topicals, yeast)
- Pre-and probiotics (joint health, digestive health, anti-inflammatory)
- Immune support (mushrooms, cancer, respiratory, joint health, anti-inflammatory, auto-immune)
- Nutrition (mushrooms, anti-inflammatory, joint health, digestive health, topicals, yeast, respiratory, detox)
- Liver & bladder (crystals & bladder, anti-inflammatory)
On the last day of Global Pet Expo 2023, I bought Fido’s Flora, their species specific probiotic, when they were selling off all the products they brought to the show.
- Larch Arabinogalactan (Prebiotic) (Larch tree extract that supports colon health, 700mg)
- Humic & Fulvic Acids (Ancient organic minerals, 558mg)
- Multi-Strain Probiotic Blend Including Species-Specific Patented Probiotics (Enhances the immune response, 2 Billion CFU = colony forming units)
Wee Away has a ton of natural pet stain cleaning products as well as solutions for fleas & ticks.
The latter was my main motivation for checking them out as I’m always on the hunt for natural pest prevention products to use in Spring, Summer & Fall.
Wee Away sells mostly on their own website as well as at select pet retailers. Some of their products are also available on Amazon.
Here’s what Wee Away carries:
- Flea & Tick Products (Spays & wipes available in Cedarwood, Spray available in Lemongrass)
- Grooming Products (Shampoos & Conditioners)
- Odor & Stain Products (All in One stain & odor remover available in Green Tea, Lemon Verbena)
- Specialty Cleaners (Crate, Cage & Toy Cleaner, Skunk Odor Eliminator, Carpet Shampoo, Laundry Booster)
- Wee Away Wipes (Buttanicals Wipes, Flea & Tick Wipes, Grooming Wipes, Surface & Floor Wipes)
Now that Spring and ticks are in the air, we’re testing their Flea & Tick Spray in Lemongrass.
So far, so good – it only has a light scent to it and it doesn’t leave a sticky film on Wally’s fur.
Also still to test: their odor & stain removers, laundry booster and pet butt wipes!
Natural Dog Treats At Global Pet Expo 2023
I LOVE Icelandic+’s single-ingredient dog fish treats! They’re great to fill in for frozen raw fish whenever I’m out for raw dog food meal prep.
Icelandic+ sells mostly on their own website as well as at select pet retailers. Some of their products are also available on Amazon.
Here’s what Icelandic+ carries:
- Whole fish (herring, capelin)
- Chips & rolls (cod, redfish)
- Fish skins (cod, wolffish, redfish)
- Combo bites (cod & salmon, cod & herring, cod & shrimp)
- Lamb horns & marrow (small, medium, large)
- Hand wrapped chews (cod, beef collagen, fish ear)
- Chewy jerky bars (salmon & skyr, capelin & skyr, wolffish & skyr, haddock & skyr, kelp & skyr)
- Soft chew nibblets (Salmon & seaweed, Arctic char & kelp, Mackerel & skyr)
Tickled Pet was a new discovery for me at Global Pet Expo 2023!
They make a variety of single-ingredient and limited-ingredient dehydrated & freeze-dried, mostly fish dog treats.
Tickled Pet sells mostly on their own website as well as at select pet retailers. Some of their products are also available on Amazon.
Here’s what they carry:
- Fish treats (Icelandic cod fish skin rolls/twists, salmon skin/rolls, whole capelin, cod food topper, wild pacific Salmon food topper)
- Bully sticks (different sizes ranging from 3″-12″)
- Sweet potato (strips & “frenched”)
- Yak chews (small, medium, large)
- Beef, lamb & chicken treats (beef lung, lamb lung, beef/chicken jerky)
- Fish oils (Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil)
Wally’s currently taste-testing their dehydrated Cod Skins.
You guys probably all know KONG, makers of the best bouncy, stuffable, dishwasher-safe dog toys!
The reason why I’m including them in the natural treat section is because their dog toys make wonderful mentally engaging boredom busters. Especially when you fill them with raw dog food and then freeze them!
I’m also including them because they only use natural rubber when making most of their toys! One exception is their KONG Wobbler, that one’s made of hard plastic polymer.
At this year’s Global Pet Expo 2023, they introduced a FILL or FREEZE TRAY! Pretty nifty if you ask me because it can be a bit tricky to fill these suckers.
Looks like it’s not available for sale at regular retail stores quite yet, but will be soon.
Global Pet Expo 2023: Bottom Line
Like I said before, it was super interesting to walk the aisles of this year’s Global Pet Expo 2023, get reacquainted with established (raw) dog food brands and discover new ones.
However, I have to point out that one raw dog food category wasn’t represented at all – brands that offer individual cuts of meat for homemade raw dog food meal prep.
Like Raw Feeding Miami, Raw Paws Pet Food, My Pet Carnivore, Hare Today, and several others.
I suppose the dog food industry as a whole isn’t quite there yet, but I’m sure that in a decade or two, it will be.
Until then, I’ll continue to write this blog along with sharing ways to making your own homemade raw dog food for anyone interested.
After all, DIY raw dog food is the only way many raw feeders can continue to afford raw feeding their dog(s), because let’s face it, premade raw is expensive.
Nonetheless, it’s driving awareness to the many health benefits of raw dog food as a whole, and I’m stoked to know that more and more pet retailers are starting to carry it!
Here’s to a healthy, raw dog food fueled 2023 for all of our pups!
- Raw Lamb for Dogs Makes A Great KONG Filler
- What’s So Great About Fermented Dog Foods?
- How to Enjoy Spring & Summer Without The Dog Pests
- Why Vital Essentials Minnows Make The Perfect Dog Treat
- Why I’m Boarding My Dogs With Nature’s Variety Raw Dog Food
- Stella & Chewy’s Meal Mixers: How to Feed & Why They’re Good
Raw Dog Food Game Changers
BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK RAW DOG FOOD
Save 15% on anything at Raw Paws Pet Food with code K9Savings. They’re located in Indiana and ship nationwide within the US.
BEST VARIETY FOR INDIVIDUAL CUTS OF RAW MEAT
Save 10% on your first order of anything at Raw Feeding Miami with this referral link.
BEST SLOW FEEDER FOR RAW FED DOGS
Mighty Paw’s Slow Feed Insert combined with Yeti’s Boomer 4 Dog Bowl. Both are top rack dishwasher safe.
BEST FOUNDATION FOR BALANCED DIY RAW MEALS
Dr. Harvey’s Paradigm Base Mix. It’s low-carb which is particularly great for dogs on a keto diet and those with health issues like diabetes and cancer.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.