Raw turkey for dogs is a lean protein that’s chock-full of vital minerals and vitamins.
All my dogs Missy, Buzz and Wally love it!
Update late 2022/early 2023: With $6.70/lb for turkey breasts, the retail price for turkeys is at a record high due to High supply costs from feed, fuel, fertilizer and labor.
That makes it even more important to hunt for discounted cuts of turkey, and/or to place a bulk order with raw dog food retailers to get a better price.
That said, here’s what you’ll learn in this blog post:
- What’s in raw turkey?
- I feed my dogs these cuts of raw turkey
- Where to buy raw turkey for dogs, specifically in the USA
- Which size dogs are raw turkey necks best for?
- Freeze-dried raw dog food turkey alternatives for traveling
Raw Turkey for Dogs: Where to Buy, How to Feed & More
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. I may earn compensation when you click on the links at no additional cost to you.
- What’s In Raw Turkey?
- I Feed My Dogs These Cuts Of Raw Turkey
- Where to Buy Raw Turkey for Dogs, Specifically in the USA
- Which Size Dogs Are Raw Turkey Necks Best For?
- What About Raw Turkey For Smaller Dogs?
- Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Turkey Alternatives for Traveling
- Raw Turkey For Dogs: Bottom Line
- Related Reading:
- Raw Dog Food Game Changers
What’s In Raw Turkey?
According to traditional chinese medicine, turkey falls into the category of neutral foods, as opposed to those of cooling and warming.
It’s a lean source of protein (= great for weight management purposes!) that’s rich in a variety of minerals and vitamins such as:
- Iron. Mineral that’s needed to carry oxygen throughout the body.
- Choline. Nutrient responsible for proper liver & brain function. Also reduces seizure frequency in epileptic dogs.
- Selenium. Mineral with antioxidant properties.
- Zinc. Trace mineral and a necessary component of a healthy, functioning immune system.
- Phosphorus & Calcium. Minerals that are important for skeletal & dental health.
- Potassium. Mineral needed for healthy muscles, nerves, and enzymes.
- B vitamins (B 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, 12, Niacin = B 3). Water-soluble nutrients vital for a healthy nervous & immune system, healthy nails & skin, healthy digestion.
Good to know: Raw turkey is lower in saturated fats than chicken and beef.
I Feed My Dogs These Cuts Of Raw Turkey
They’re a favorite raw meaty bone with a nice crunch factor.
They’re rich, so feeding them in moderation is crucial. Turkey gizzards are fed as muscle meat in raw dog food.
Whenever I see ground turkey on sale at my local grocery store, I buy it and use it for the pups’ (& my) dinner. It also falls into the muscle meat category of raw dog food.
Complete turkey can be fed as a meal.
It consists of muscle meat, raw meaty bones, and secreting organs. Depending on the brand, it also features plant matter. For example, fruits, veggies, seeds, and/or nuts.
Where to Buy Raw Turkey for Dogs, Specifically in the USA
Over the years, I’ve bought my raw turkey supplies from 4 different sources.
The most conveniently located one is my grocery store just around the corner where I can find turkey necks and ground turkey meat.
They always have whole turkeys on sale after the holidays, usually towards the beginning of the new year.
Raw Feeding Miami
They carry anything turkey!
From turkey livers, hearts, gizzards, necks, thighs – you name it, they have it.
They also carry turkey grinds that can be fed as complete meal (without plant matter).
Tip: Save 10% off your order from Raw Feeding Miami with my referral discount link.
Raw Paws Pet Food
Raw Paws Pet Food carries complete raw turkey for dogs and cats. Complete means it’s ready to feed as is following the 80/10/10 raw feeding formula:
- 80% muscle meat
- 10% raw meaty bones
- 10% secreting organs (5% liver, 5% other secreting organs)
If you’re looking to add some plant matter, you can add about 10%. Either your own mix of seasonal veggies/fruit/herbs/seeds/nuts, or a base- or pre-mix.
Here’s what’s in the complete turkey:
Turkey Meat, Turkey Breast, Turkey Frames, Turkey Heart, Turkey Liver, Turkey Gizzards, Turkey Fries.
Note: Turkey fries are testicles. That’s an AWESOME cut to add and counts as a secreting organ!
Learn more about raw testicles for raw dog food here!
You can get the complete turkey as a 3lb chub, 1lb chub, and as 4lb patties. The 3lb chub is the best deal price-wise.
2 Savings Tips:
(1) You can lower the price even more with my 15% affiliate discount code K9Savings on all things turkey from Raw Paws Pet Food:
(2) Shipping is free when you buy $199 or more in frozen raw dog food, so it literally pays off to stock up. That translates into eleven 3lb chubs to get free shipping. If you have enough freezer space, that’s a pretty good deal!
One more note on shipping: Raw Paws Pet Food also carries a few select Frozen Free Ship Packs that start at $79.
They also have individual cuts of raw turkey if you’re making DIY raw dog food:
Darwin’s Natural Pet
Darwin’s has 2 different turkey recipes, each with veggies.
However, one line is made with free-range meats & organic vegetables, and the other line is made with conventionally-raised meat & vegetables. The price difference is about $3.00 between the two lines.
That said, both can be fed as is if you’re following the BARF model of raw dog food (with veggies).
(1) Natural Selections Turkey, Ingredients:
Antibiotic-Free Meat (74.64%): Turkey Necks (including bone), Turkey Meat, Turkey Livers, Turkey Hearts, and Turkey Gizzards.
Organic Vegetables (24.66%): Sweet Potato, Lettuce, Carrots, Squash (seasonal), Celery, and Parsley.
Special Nutrient Mix (0.77%): Organic Flax Seed Oil, Sea Salt, Inulin, Cod Liver Oil (source of Vitamin D), Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Vitamin E, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Iodine.
This recipe is made with free-range meats and organic vegetables.
(2) Biologics Turkey, Ingredients:
Meat (74.64%): Turkey Necks (including bone), Turkey, Turkey Livers, Turkey Hearts, and Turkey Gizzards.
Vegetables (24.66%): Sweet Potato, Lettuce, Carrots, Squash (seasonal), Celery, and Parsley (vegetables may vary based on seasonality).
Special Nutrient Mix (0.70%): Organic Flax Seed Oil, Cod Liver Oil (source of Vitamin D), Proprietary Vitamin and Mineral Mix.
This recipe is made with conventionally-raised meats and vegetables.
Which Size Dogs Are Raw Turkey Necks Best For?
Raw turkey necks are the perfect size for medium-large(r) dogs.
They vary in length and thickness and can measure anywhere between 4-7 inches, and weigh between 5-13 ounces.
Good to know: Smaller & somewhat softer turkey necks are sourced from female turkeys as opposed to their male counterparts.
They’re an excellent source of calcium and phosphorus, important for skeletal health, and keep dog teeth clean.
Note: While turkey necks are a wonderful raw meaty bone, make sure to rotate the raw meaty bones you feed your dog(s)!
If you feed nothing but neck bones, your pup may come down with dietary induced hyperthyroidism. That’s because neck bones can include thyroid tissue.
Here are some alternatives for (turkey) neck bones:
What About Raw Turkey For Smaller Dogs?
I don’t recommend whole raw turkey necks for smaller dogs, simply because of their size.
That said, they can eat them once they’ve been cut into smaller parts or if they’re ground. You can also hold one end of the neck and let your small pup chew on the other end. Then take it away after they’ve chewed on it for a while.
Good to know: Turkey necks consist of about 42% bone and 58% muscle meat. They typically weigh between 8-13 oz. So a 10 oz turkey neck consists of 4.2 oz bone and 5.8 oz muscle meat.
Raw meaty bones from smaller poultry are a great turkey bone alternative for small dogs, such as chicken or duck feet.
Both chicken and duck feet are about 4-6 inches in length and weigh about an ounce. They’re a great source of chondroitin and glucosamine which are needed for joint health.
Good to know: Chicken and duck feet consist of 60% bone and 40% muscle meat. Since they weigh around 1 oz, they consist of 0.6 oz bone and 0.4 oz muscle meat.
If you have a smaller dog but would still like to take advantage of the raw turkey bones, I recommend grinding them with heavy duty meat grinders such as these.
It’s powerful enough to grind turkey necks and chicken leg quarters.
Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Turkey Alternatives for Traveling
It can be tricky to find room for a big cooler filled with ice and raw dog food when you’re traveling with your entire family!
Freeze-dried raw dog food is a decent space-saving alternative for that scenario.
For example, freeze-dried turkey dog food such as:
- Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Turkey Dinner Patties
- Northwest Naturals Freeze-Dried Turkey Nuggets
- Vital Essentials Freeze-Dried Turkey Mini Nibs
- Steve’s Real Food Freeze-Dried Raw Turkey Nuggets
- Sojos Complete Freeze-Dried Turkey Recipe
- BIXBI Rawbble Freeze-Dried Turkey Recipe Dog Food
Raw Turkey For Dogs: Bottom Line
Turkey is a great protein that’s low in fat.
It’s chock-full of all the minerals and vitamins necessary for a strong immune system.
In our pack, it’s definitely a year-round favorite with Missy, Buzz, and Wally!
In order to keep the price down, see about ordering in bulk to save on shipping costs and/or use a discount from an affiliate raw feeder.
For example, my 15% OFF affiliate discount code K9Savings good for anything from Raw Paws Pet Food!
If you’re looking for a space-saving raw dog food alternative when traveling, consider giving freeze-dried raw dog food a try.
Leave your comments or questions below in the comment section!
- Raw lamb for dogs
- Raw quail for dogs
- Raw duck for dogs
- All about raw beef dog food
- How to safely feed your dog raw meaty bones
- Gizzards for dogs: How (much) to feed & more
- Raw chicken for dogs: How to feed, where to buy & more
- Turkey necks for dogs: How to feed + quarterly giveaway
- How to keep raw feeding affordable: Turkey deals after the holidays
Raw Dog Food Game Changers
BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK RAW DOG FOOD
Save 15% on anything at Raw Paws Pet Food with code K9Savings. They’re located in Indiana and ship nationwide within the US.
BEST VARIETY FOR INDIVIDUAL CUTS OF RAW MEAT
Save 10% on your first order of anything at Raw Feeding Miami with this referral link.
BEST SLOW FEEDER FOR RAW FED DOGS
Mighty Paw’s Slow Feed Insert combined with Yeti’s Boomer 4 Dog Bowl. Both are top rack dishwasher safe.
BEST FOUNDATION FOR BALANCED DIY RAW MEALS
Dr. Harvey’s Paradigm Base Mix. It’s low-carb which is particularly great for dogs on a keto diet and those with health issues like diabetes and cancer.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.