Raw dog food with goat meat is a nutritious option for dogs as it’s rich in Vitamin Bs (B3, B9, B12), iron, potassium and zinc!
B vitamins have a strong cardio protective effect and support tissue growth, cell division, normal blood & immune function.
Iron helps enzymes function normally, creates red blood cells, boosts oxygen supply & promotes a healthy liver.
Potassium is important for nerve impulses and muscle contractions, including the heart.
Zinc supports a strong immune system & a healthy thyroid.
Here’s what’s in 100 grams = 3 oz of raw goat meat:
- Thiamin (Vit. B1), 0.110 mg
- Riboflavin (Vit. B2), 0.490 mg
- Niacin (Vit. B3), 3.750 mg
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12), 1.13 mcg
- Folate (Vit. B9), 5.00 mcg
- Calcium, 13.00 mg
- Copper, 0.26 mg
- Iron, 2.83 mg
- Manganese, 0.038 mg
- Phosphorus, 180.00 mg
- Potassium, 385.00 mg
- Selenium, 8.80 mcg
- Sodium, 82.00 mg
- Zinc, 4.00 mg
Goat is also great for overweight pups as goat is a lean meat.
Now, when you’re preparing raw dog food with goat, it’s important to follow some guidelines:
- Quality and Sourcing: Choose high-quality, human-grade goat meat from a trusted source such as the ones I mention in this blog post. Ensure it is fresh and free from any additives or preservatives.
- Balanced Diet: Dogs require a balanced diet that includes a variety of protein sources, fruits, vegetables, and essential nutrients. That’s why it’s important to feed as many different cuts of (goat) meat as possible.
- Transition: If you are switching your dog’s diet to raw dog food with goat, it’s essential to introduce it gradually. Start by mixing a small amount of raw goat with their regular raw meals and gradually increase the proportion over 7-10 days.
Remember, every dog is unique, and their nutritional needs can vary based on factors such as age, size, activity level, and overall health.
Disclaimer: This blog post was originally published in 2020 and has been updated in 2023. It contains affiliate links I may earn compensation through at no additional cost to you.
Why Is It Good To Add Goat To Your Dog’s Raw Dog Food?
First things first, it’s important to feed a variety of protein sources to your dog. That way, they’re getting a wide range of nutrients in their diet.
For example, goat is a red meat that has higher levels of iron than other red meat sources like beef and pork.
Additionally, dogs who eat a wide variety of different animals limit their risk of developing sensitivities towards certain protein sources.
For example, many dogs are sensitive to common dog food ingredients like chicken, beef, salmon, or turkey.
My pup Wally is one of those unfortunate dogs.
I adopted him when he was 1.5 years old and found out that he’s allergic to chicken, quail, pheasant, salmon, sardines, anchovies and shellfish including green lipped mussels.
He also can’t have any grains whatsoever along with a few different veggies and fruits.
For dogs like him who have known sensitivities, goat can be a great protein to feed because it’s not typically known as an allergenic type of meat.
So go ahead and try goat meat for dogs with allergies!
Allergic dogs also generally do well with rabbit, kangaroo, ostrich, camel, and a few others.
I actually wrote an e-book about this topic that’s inspired by Wally! I’m adding a link to it below. You can also get it as part of my raw dog food learner’s bundle.
Where To Buy Goat Raw Dog Food (US)
Well, there are two options of feeding goat raw dog food.
You can either feed:
(1) pre-made raw dog food with goat, or you can add
(2) individual cuts of raw goat meat to your homemade raw dog food.
I personally like to alternate between both, although I prepare most of my raw meals myself. I’ve been doing that since 2016 and began learning about raw dog food in 2015.
Good to know: Raw dog food consists of 70-80% muscle meat, 10% secreting organs, 10% raw meaty bones and optional 10% plant matter.
Learn more in my blog post What does balanced raw dog food consist of?
In this raw dog food recipe for Wally, the ground beaver with bone represents muscle meat, raw meaty bones, and secreting organs.
The duck hearts are muscle meat, and the goat liver and lamb brains are also secreting organs.
Since it can be tricky to find raw goat locally, I mention several retailers who have raw goat on their virtual shelves (in the US).
Please know that some of the smaller raw dog food retailers sell out very quickly of their goat products, particularly Raw Feeding Miami and My Pet Carnivore.
That’s why I recommend you stock up as much as you can.
I personally use a freezer for this purpose.
Now without further ado, the following raw dog food brands in the US carry goat raw dog food!
Raw Paws Pet Food
Raw Paws Pet Food carries the following goat products:
- Signature Blend Pet Food For Dogs & Cats – Goat
- Signature Green Goat Tripe For Dogs & Cats
- Meaty Goat Bones For Dogs & Cats
- Raw Goat Milk For Dogs & Cats
- Goat Milk Supplement Powder
Here’s what’s in the Signature Goat Blend:
Goat Meat, Goat Heart, Goat Tongue, Goat Bone, Goat Liver, Goat Kidney, Goat Spleen
Obviously, this blend doesn’t feature any plant matter, so you would need to add your own if you want.
Raw Paws suggests the following daily serving:
- 0 to 30 lbs: 4 oz for every 10 lbs dog weight
- 30 to 100 lbs: 3.2 oz for every 10 lbs dog weight
- above 100 lbs: 2.8 oz for every 10 lbs dog weight
Green tripe is just green goat tripe, and the meaty goat bones are a variety of femur bones, rib bones, neck bones, and tail bones.
As such, they have about 35% meat vs 65% bone and fall into the category of raw meaty bones (RMBs).
You can either feed these RMBs whole or grind them with meat grinders.
For the goat milk supplement powder, all you need to add is water. This works great for orphaned puppies and kittens!
For adult dogs, you can use it as a meal topper to entice picky eaters to eat, or as a digestion booster.
By the way, did you know that goat milk is much easier to digest for dogs than cow milk? That’s why I personally also like to share a little of the goat yogurt I eat myself with my pup Wally!
Tip: Save 15% on your Raw Paws Pet Food order with my affiliate discount code K9Savings at checkout. Also works on discounted items!
Raw Feeding Miami
Raw Feeding Miami carries the following goat products:
- Goat hearts. Feed as muscle meat.
- Dehydrated green goat tripe. Feed as a muscle meat treat.
- Goat kidney. Feed as a secreting organ.
- Goat liver. Feed as a secreting organ.
- Boneless ground goat. Feed as muscle meat.
- Boneless goat chunks. Feed as muscle meat.
- Goat kefir. This is fermented goat milk you can use as a supplement, food topper or
- Raw goats milk from Green Juju.
Tip: You can save 10% on your Raw Feeding Miami order with my referral discount link.
BJs Raw Pet Food
BJs Raw Pet Food carries the following goat products:
- Ground Goat Blend (5 gallons): Whole Goat, Heart, Bone, Lung, Liver, Spleen, Tripe.
- Mama Mix Goat Blend. Lamb, Beef, Goat, Liver, Kidney, Spleen, Tripe, Pork, Herbs for lactating dog moms with their puppies.
- Farm Fresh Raw Goat Milk. Feed as a supplement.
- Farm Fresh Raw Goat Milk Kefir. Feed as a supplement.
My Pet Carnivore
My Pet Carnivore carries the following goat products:
- Coarse Ground Whole Goat. Can be fed as is for a complete meal: Goat meat, goat bones, goat heart, goat liver, goat tripe.
- Unpasteurized raw goat milk. Feed as a supplement.
Hare Today carries the following goat products:
- Ground Goat/Bones/Organs/Tripe. Feed as a complete meal: Whole dressed goat, bones, heart, lung, liver, kidney, tripe, and spleen.
- (Semi) Boneless Ground Goat. Feed as ground muscle meat (may have a few bone fragments).
- Boneless Goat Cubes/Strips. Feed as muscle meat.
- Goat Hearts. Feed as muscle meat.
- Goat Lung. Feed as muscle meat.
- Goat Trachea. Feed as muscle meat.
- Goat Green Tripe. Feed as muscle meat.
- Goat Kidneys. Feed as secreting organs.
- Goat Liver. Feed as secreting organs.
- Meaty Goat Bones.
- Goat Marrow Bones. Feed as recreational bones: Raw small meaty goat bones, cut from the goat ribs.
Where To Buy Whole Goats In The US
You can also buy whole goats here:
- Florida Fresh Meat Company (25-30 lb, Florida)
- Desi Fresh Halal Meat & Grocery (20-50 lb, California)
- Fresh Meat Factory (California)
- Harr Family Farms (Missouri)
- John Mulls Meat Company (Nevada)
- Fire Bolt Farms (Michigan)
- Catskill Packaging (New York State)
- Rural Reverie (Texas)
- Mountain H Cattle (Colorado)
- Rossallini Farm Organ Meat (Oregon)
Raw Dog Food With Goat: Bottom Line
Goat is a lean, red meat that’s particularly rich in iron, zinc, potassium and many B Vitamins. It’s not known as an allergenic type of meat which is why it’s a great protein source to try for dogs with allergies.
Raw goat is easily available as pre-made, complete meals at Raw Paws Pet Food, BJs Raw Pet Food and Hare Today.
It’s a bit more of a seasonal item which is why smaller raw dog food retailers like Raw Feeding Miami and My Pet Carnivore quickly run out of their goat stock.
That said, both have a great selection of individual cuts of raw goat if you prefer making your own raw dog food.
They offer e-mail notifications when the product is back in stock, which is a great service.
- How to make refreshing raw goat milk treats
- Rabbit for raw dog food: How to feed & where to buy
- Where to buy duck for dogs & how to feed it
- Raw turkey for dogs: Where to buy & how to feed
- Raw chicken for dogs: How to feed, where to buy & more
5 Raw Dog Food Game Changers
BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK RAW DOG FOOD
Save 15% on anything at Raw Paws Pet Food with code K9Savings. They’re located in Indiana and ship nationwide within the US.
BEST VARIETY FOR INDIVIDUAL CUTS OF RAW MEAT
Save 10% on your first order of anything at Raw Feeding Miami with this referral link.
ULTIMATE RAW DOG FOOD LEARNER’S BUNDLE
Save 30% on my raw dog food learner’s bundle with code RAWLOVE. Includes 32 raw dog food recipes, cheat sheets, shopping lists, meal prep hacks, raw dog food math explained & more.
BEST SLOW FEEDER FOR RAW FED DOGS
Mighty Paw’s Slow Feed Insert combined with Yeti’s Boomer 4 Dog Bowl. Both are top rack dishwasher safe.
BEST FOUNDATION FOR BALANCED DIY RAW MEALS
Dr. Harvey’s Paradigm Base Mix. It’s low-carb which is particularly great for dogs on a keto diet and those with health issues like diabetes and cancer.