I’m a big believer in single-ingredient treats, which is why I created this list of best single-ingredient dog treats!
Here’s my motivation behind this:
- I want to know what makes it into my dogs’ bodies. I don’t want to have to decipher and figure out what those hard-to-read chemicals on long ingredient lists are and whether or not they have any harmful side effects when I feed them on a regular basis.
- My pup Wally has a bunch of food sensitivities. When he eats anything with chicken, grains, salmon, sardines, green lipped mussels as well as with several veggies and fruit, he gets itchy hot spots. As soon as that happens, he starts scratching at himself like crazy. Obviously that’s not good for his skin, but it’s also SUPER annoying for me and anyone else who’s around.
Besides not feeding your pups nutritiously empty fillers and artificial ingredients, the beauty about single-ingredient treats is that they’re great for dogs with sensitive stomachs and allergies!
Let’s say that your dog is allergic to a specific protein, for example chicken or lamb. All you need to do is stop buying treats with chicken or lamb on the ingredient list and go for something else. For example (grass-fed) beef or rabbit.
Now without further ado, the following are my favorite single-ingredient treats!
Best Single Ingredient Dog Treats
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this blog post are Amazon associate links. This means that if you click on an affiliate link and buy certain items, I will receive a small commission to keep this blog going. The price is not affected by this and remains the same for you.
Boo Boo’s Best – Dehydrated
Dr. Harvey’s – Dehydrated & Freeze-Dried
Real Dog – Air-Dried
This monthly subscription box contains a crazy large variety of air-dried treats and/or chews that changes every month! If you get a box with my affiliate link, we both get a bag of free treats 🙂
I began buying the boxes in 2016 for Missy & Buzz. When my new pup Wally joined me in 2019, I also started a monthly subscription for him! This is what we’ve been getting over the years:
- Beef Tendon, Pizzle, Spleen, Green Tripe, Trachea, Backstrap, Liver and Aorta
- Elk Meat
- Pig Ear and Skin
- Pork Kidney, Heart and Loin
- Lamb Guller, Liver, Lung, Trachea and Weasand
- Chicken Feet, Neck, Heart and Liver
- Turkey Breast, Gizzards & Neck
- Duck Feet & Wings
- Wild-Caught Alaskan Pollock, Anchovy and Smelt
- Salmon Skin & Chunks (oily)
- Green Lipped Mussels
Pure Bites Pet Treats – Freeze-Dried
Vital Essentials – Freeze-Dried
Icelandic+ – Air-Dried
All single-ingredient treat brands mentioned above only made it on this list of best single-ingredient dog treats because I have fed them, have been very satisfied with their products, and my dogs Missy, Buzz, & Wally have done exceedingly well with everything they’ve had.
Please know that I have only listed the treats we have actually used, and that every brand has a larger product selection.
- What’s inside our Real Dog treat subscription box this month?
- Why I treat my dogs with freeze-dried Vital Essentials Minnows
- Spoil your dog with Dr. Harvey’s certified organic Sweet Potate’r Chews